What I was looking forward to see in the show were;
1. white blood, how will the director visualize it
2. stage prop
3. the singing
And what I got;
1. a burst of white confetti
2. good stage prop
3. bad singing
1. it was not really a theater but more like a sketch about a girl named Mahsuri due to lack of elaboration; it only runs for about one and a half hour
2. Deramang character was very vague
3. need improvement in sound and lighting department; there were a few blips
4. there should be subtitle (like what they did in PGL) if they want to reach out to viewers from other races both local and foreign; if I wasn't a Malay and knew about the Legend of Mahsuri I wouldn't understand what's so special about Mahsuri
5. good performance by Sabera Shaik as Mahura
Overall verdict...Disappointing full stop
me and family
cast and crew
arja sangat hensem...
More artistic review here and here.
Mahsuri is staged at Istana Budaya from 24th to 30th April 2009.